05 April 2012

photo series: saul leiter

"I must admit that I am not a member of the ugly school. I have a great regard for certain notions of beauty even though to some it is an old fashioned idea. Some photographers think that by taking pictures of human misery, they are addressing a serious problem. I do not think that misery is more profound than happiness" - Saul Leiter



Joanna, 1947
White Brooklyn, 1949
Lainesville, 1958
Foot on EL, 1954
Shoe, c1950
Taxi, New York, 1957

I'm going to begin sharing some of the artists that have affected me, in hopes that they might have a similar effect on you.  

First off, I'd like to introduce you to the great American photographer, Saul Leiter.  Leiter's images have a rich, layered, painterly quality, and he has a unique ability to create poetic compositions from the commonplace. His work gives us a fresh perspective on the beauty all around us.

Learn more: 1, 2, 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

♫ send me a postcard, drop me a line ♪♪