04 May 2011

scenes of a city

Here are some pictures from our first full day in Prague, starting with one of me as I left our apartment that morning.


We ate at a beautiful restaurant, in a dining room from the 12th century.  We had a delicious venison appetizer and I had wild boar for my main course.


Wandering through Mala Strana, we came across a canal that had locks all over the bridge.  Lovers leave them there to symbolize their commitment to each other.


We also walked across the famous Charles Bridge.  We found the statue of St John Nepomuk, and rubbed it with our left hand for good luck.  There are all kinds of street vendors and musicians along the bridge, and we even saw three swans fly right over our heads.


 The windy roads of Malรก Strana are nestled underneath the towering Prague Castle.  Scenes from my favorite movie, Amadeus, were filmed there, and this historic district is also the home to the Franz Kafka museum


Along the streets of Old Town, you can find numerous Marionette theaters, where you can catch a showing of Mozart's Don Giovanni performed by puppets.  


As the sun sets, the view from our apartment is breathtaking.  Saint Vitus Cathedral is lit up like a Disney castle, and the orange rooftops stand out against the cobalt blue sky.



No comments:

Post a Comment

♫ send me a postcard, drop me a line ♪♪